hey kids – someone at JWT sent me this (all tied in someway to futureofmen.com) and just thought it an interesting thing to post – not sure how i feel about it all – i think i like the metrosexual much better – i say screw the übers – what a dumb idea – i don’t think some of the cool guys below would want to be included in conjunction with this new term – and asshole arnold schwarzenegger is on their list and i think here in CA we should recall him as governator – what a crock he has been – BUT i do like his wife maria shriver for some reason – she needs to take charge – maybe it’s the whole kennedy connection – you gotta love those cursed kennedys – oh those übers – read the crap below – it almost doesn’t even make sense – jeez louise – rock on – popbytes out for now!
JWT (formerly J. Walter Thompson), the
world’s oldest advertising agency and the largest agency in America, has
named the top ten men it defines as übersexuals. These are men who embrace
the positive aspects of their masculinity or ‘M-ness’ (e.g., confidence,
leadership, passion, compassion) without giving in to the stereotypes that
give guys a bad name (e.g., disrespect toward women, emotional emptiness,
complete ignorance of anything cultural outside of sports, beer, burgers,
and athletic shoes).
Metrosexual or übersexual? How to Spot the Difference
– Both are passionate, but the über is passionate about causes and
principles, while the metro is mostly passionate about himself
– The über spends more time grooming his mind than his hair
– Both treat and respect women as equals, but the über considers other
men, not women, his best friends
– The über is more sensual and not at all self-conscious; he doesn’t
need other people to tell him he’s sexy – nor does he plan his errands around
which shop windows offer the best reflection
– The metro gets design tips from the Fab Five; the über gets them from
his travels and interest in art and culture
– The über knows the difference between right and wrong and will make
the right decision regardless of what others around him may think; the
metro knows the difference between toner and exfoliant – and worries that
he’s using yesterday’s brand
JWT’s Top Ten
Here, in reverse order, are the top ten men JWT says embody everything
10. Jon Stewart: He is outspoken without regard to what other people think
(as evidenced by his skewering his hosts during this year’s Advertising
Week). He is supportive of women and pokes fun at himself in a
9. Guy Ritchie: His masculinity is unquestioned even though he’s married to
one of the world’s top music icons. (In fact, gravitating toward strong
women tends to be an über trait.)
8. Pierce Brosnan: His James Bond strength was never compromised when we
watched him publicly mourn his first wife (and raise her children). He has
Remington Steele’s classic elegance and savoir faire.
7. Ewan McGregor: A handsome, fashionable family man, McGregor is versatile
enough to go from riding his Harley Davidson around the world to walking
the red carpet. He is comfortable in his own sexuality.
6. Barack Obama: At the DNC, he managed to marry sentimental love of family
with a new face of patriotism. And he looks sharp in a suit.
5. Arnold Schwarzenegger: He journeyed from body builder to mega movie star
to politician, all the while keeping his shoes buffed and hair in place. He
has succeeded in every challenge he’s faced, and he has a Kennedy for a
4. Donald Trump: Love him or hate him, Trump is a man who is certain about
what he wants and sets out to get it, no holds barred. Women find his power
almost as much of a turn-on as his money.
3. Bill Clinton: A born charmer with Southern roots who is not afraid to
cry. He is a supremely confident, decisive leader. And he has supremely
2. George Clooney: He appreciates the finer things in life (including his
villa on the shores of Lake Como), and he is strongly bonded with and loyal
to a cadre of male friends. His timeless image has allowed him to rise from
B-sitcoms to box-office hits, some of which he’s directed and/or produced.
1. Bono: He’s global, socially aware, confident, and compassionate, and he
commands a huge base of followers who are fans of his music and his
humanitarianism. Is it any wonder rumors are swirling about a Nobel Peace
October 11, 2005