- Look, you can say “there was never just one …” all you want, that still doesn’t explain away the fact that Matt Damon wouldn’t sign off on a fourth Bourne movie. Yet without Damon, The Bourne Legacy still managed to top the weekend box office, pulling in a respectable if not hugely successful $40.2 Million (compared to The Bourne Ultimatum‘s $69.2 Million, it’s not great, but it’s still perfectly good.)
- Fun fact about The Campaign: To promote the movie, Will Ferrel and Zach Galifianakis made an appearance in Toronto and met with our Mayor, Rob Ford. Those who don’t live in Toronto probably won’t appreciate this, but afterwards, Zach basically went on the record to say that Ford was an idiot, thus cementing my love for him eternally. Anyway, the movie made $27.4 Million, which for a comedy sandwiched between major summer action movies, is really pretty good.
- There are two ways of looking at how The Dark Knight Rises is doing: You can either look at the fact that the movie has already made $390 Million in its total gross, which is $140 Million more than its budget, or you can compare it to The Dark Knight and be disappointed because something wasn’t as good as something else. Either way, the movie fell to third place after four weeks in theatres, taking in $19.5 Million.
- Hope Springs, aka the movie your parents went to see, earned a healthy if not spectacular $15.6 Million over the weekend. Also, did anyone notice the fact that every time Meryl Streep does a romantic comedy, she always makes the same “Ooooh, I’m naughty!” face on the poster? No, seriously, she does.
- The might be the ambien talking, but Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days is a movie that really exists and it made $8.2 Million despite the fact that no one knows the movie exists. Can you actually go down to your theatre and watch a third Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie, or is this all some sort of elaborate illusion? The world may never know … what’s that, Ambien Walrus? You want me to throw all my clothes on the tree outside my balcony? That’s the best idea ever! Ambien! Weeeeeee!
August 13, 2012