- First off, Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canadians! Or, to the Americans, Happy (*snicker*) Columbus Day. No, really, it’s totally cool that you guys celebrate a guy who never actually stepped foot in the United States. (And yes, I know, he did land on Puerto Rico once. But it’s just not the same …) Anyway, Taken 2 managed to take first place at the Box Office this weekend with $50 Million, which I’m sure came entirely from people who settled for the original, realized it was actually a decent movie, and then came back for lukewarm seconds.
- Hotel Transylvania is still cleaning up pretty well, despite another animated, horror-themed kids movie honing in on its turf. The movie made $26.3 Million, and steadily moves us closer to the day where Ceelo Green will be in every movie and it’ll just be the worst.
- Pitch Perfect, or as I’m going to call it, the only movie on this list I would gladly pay money to see, finally made its way into more theatres this week, which gave itself a nice push up to $14.7 Million.
- Okay, I spoke to soon, I would gladly pay to see Looper too. Sorry, sorry. Anyway, despite falling to fourth, it’s still holding on pretty well with an additional $12.2 Million.
- Oh look, it’s Frankenweenie, another Tim Burton movie about a quirky outsider that heavily references old movies, prominently features black and white spirals, and prominently features a cadre of actors Burton’s previously worked with. I’ve seen less obvious patterns on a checkers board. Actually, just to challenge myself, I guessed that Danny Elfman scored the film too, and what do you know, there he is. I mean, good for Tim to make a movie without Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, but jeez, watch your crutches. Anyway, the movie made $11.5 Million. That’s what you get for beating your dead horse into glue.
October 8, 2012