- Snow White and The Huntsman won the race at the box office this weekend, taking in $56.2 Million, the highest opening weekend numbers since The Avengers took over. Granted, that’s not exactly much of a feat when you consider the Marvel comics juggernaut only recently stopped being the #1 movie, but still, take pride in knowing that you at least beat Men in Black III.
- Speaking of, Men in Black III managed to hold on to a decent sum at the box office, pulling in an additional $29.3 Million, pushing it over the $100 Million mark domestically. Once again, this isn’t half bad, but you kind of have to figure that this would have made way more money if it hadn’t been released well over a decade after the last installment. Seriously, I was eleven when the last movie came out. ELEVEN.
- And oh look, more news on The Avengers. The pop culture hydra is still fairing well for itself, as it earned itself another $20.2 Million and finally pushed itself up and over The Dark Knight as the third highest grossing movie in North America. It doesn’t look like it’ll move ahead of Titanic, but here’s hoping it does because holy crap, Titanic sucked ass. No one wants to spend three hours waiting for a boat to sink. Hurry that shit up.
- Speaking of sinking ships, both metaphorical and literal, Battleship is still doing as poorly as you would expect a movie based on the third most tiresome board game would. It added another $4.8 Million to its revenue, which is really only a quarter of its budget. On the plus side, we’ll never have to deal with a movie based on Don’t Wake Daddy or Crocodile Dentist, so yay for that I guess?
- The Dictator is still a thing — who knew, right? — and it proved its existence to the world by scrounging together $4.7 Million over the weekend. Silly Sacha Baron Cohen … people don’t care about crazy dictators anymore! Now, if this were a movie about bath salt zombies, maybe he’d be raking in the big bucks.
June 4, 2012