- Because North America just can’t resist the appeal of six major super heroes eating shwarmas, The Avengers brought in another $103.2 Million at the box office this week, bringing its domestic gross to a total of $373.2 Million. The bigger news, however, is that The Avengers‘ total gross, with international box offices, is estimated to have passed the $1 Billion mark. In related news, Joss Whedon reportedly sent the CEO of 21st Century Fox a letter that simply read “Ha Ha!” written in liquid diamonds.
- Oh, look, another movie directed by Tim Burton starring Johnny Depp and scored by Danny Elfman. At this point, actual crutches are looking at this and going “Yeah, he’s relying way too heavily on this dynamic … if only there were some apt metaphor for this.” Anyway, Dark Shadows (or is it a sequel to Alice in Wonderland? Who knows.) raked in only $28.2 Million. Admittedly, that’s nothing to sneeze at, but considering the budget on the movie was $150 Million and Tim Burton’s last outing, Alice, netted four times that amount in its opening weekend, Timmy might be in trouble.
- Think Like a Man is still around. Who knew? Despite being a shill for Steve Harvey‘s book that perfectly captures its source material’s shallow, over-simplistic, misinformed tone, it still brought in $6.3 Million, bringing its total to $81.9 Million. Seriously.
- Sure, The Avengers might be stealing its fanboy thunder, but The Hunger Games is still hanging in there, taking in $4.4 Million over the weekend, bringing its gross up to $386.9 Million, a slight edge over Marvel’s behemoth.
- I honestly can’t remember what The Lucky One is, but it earned $4 Million this weekend, bringing its total gross to … I don’t know. Who gives a shit?
May 14, 2012