- Think Like a Man Too was the big winner at the box office this weekend according to Box Office Mojo, earning $30 Million in its debut and clearing its initial budget. Now, here’s an honest to gawd question, because it needs to be asked: I know this series is based, however tenuously, on Steve Harvey’s book Act Like A Lady, Think Like a Man. But who the hell goes to Steve Harvey for dating advice? He’s Steve Harvey. I know he hosts Family Feud, but that kind of skillset in no way translates to a successful relationship. If you’re a woman taking dating advice from a 57-year-old man, you’re f*cked.
- 22 Jump Street took a dive to 2nd place, earning $29 Million and throwing another respectable heap of money onto the pile. At this point, the movie has already doubled its budget, so look forward to 23 Jump Street in a few years.
- How To Train Your Dragon 2, despite not making it to the top spot last week, is still holding pretty strong in third place with a $25.3 Million weekend. Which is insane, because a sequel to a movie based on a book of dating advice from Steve Harvey just made it to #1. I’m sorry, I don’t see how Steve Harvey is better than adorable pet dragons. Can Steve Harvey fly? Can Steve Harvey breathe fire? NO. NO HE CAN’T, AND I AM VERY ANGRY ABOUT IT.
- The other big opening this week was Jersey Boys, based on the Frankie Valli / The Four Seasons broadway musical. If you reread that last phrase, you might get an understanding of why it didn’t quite make it to the top. That being said, it did manage to make $13.5 Million with a budget of only $40 Million, so at least it might make its money back.
- Maleficent managed to hold onto the top five with a weekend total of $13 Million (and now stands as Angelina Jolie‘s top-grossing film), and once again: How is this not as good as Steve Harvey’s dating advice? Does Steve Harvey have strong, powerful wings? Does she have a bad-ass horn cowl? Can he magic? CAN STEVE HARVEY MAGIC? NO HE CANNOT MAGIC!!!
June 23, 2014