- Normally, the difference between first place and second place at the weekend box office is — at the very least — a few million dollars. This week, Nightcrawler topped out with $10,909,000–edging out Ouija by a mere nine grand, according to Box Office Mojo. The weird part about it: That $9,000 margin was made up entirely of people who thought they were seeing another X-Men movie. True story.
- And with that, we come to Ouija, who took in $10.9 Million this weekend. But don’t feel too bad for it: Ouija has already made seven times its budget, which means you can look forward to more horror movies based on board games. You don’t know true fear until you see Bryan Cranston’s heart-stopping performance in Don’t Wake Daddy!
- Remember how I said last week that Fury and Gone Girl were going to be bitter box office rivals, like Captain Ahab and Moby Dick? Or Mario and Wario? Well, once again they’re neck and neck, with Fury taking the top spot with $9.1 Million.
- Meanwhile, Gone Girl is close by, nipping at its heels with $8.8 Million. Once again, this entire box office is pretty much differentiated by the tiniest sliver.
- Oh, The Book of Life. You were too beautiful for this world. Now that the Halloween season is over, it looks like you’ll be shuttled out in favor of a slew of Xmas movies. Take $8.3 Million as your consolation prize and make way Grumpy Cat’s Worst Christmas Ever–premiering November 29th–only on Lifetime … like for real!
November 3, 2014