- You know what happens when a movie from one of the biggest franchises ever gets released right before the biggest shopping week of the year? Obviously, it makes tons and tons of money. According to Box Office Mojo, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1 rightfully settled into first place this weekend with $56.8 Million, which has pushed its total gross $100 Million above its budget.
- You know those Madagascar movies? Remember how the penguins served as a good b-story/deus ex machina to help keep the a-story chugging along without overextending their welcome? Well, they gave them their own TV show, and subsequently their own movie, and … it actually kind of underperformed compared to the actual Madagascar movies. Which is a shame, because Penguins of Madagascar actually got some decent reviews, and it did earn $25.8 Million which isn’t too bad. But still, the people behind the Minions movie might want to take some notes here.
- Despite having to take on a new CGI animated movie this weekend, Big Hero 6 actually managed to hold on pretty well, taking in an additional $18.7 Million. Comparative to last week, that’s only a 6.7% decline, which is actually really pretty good all things considered.
- Speaking of movies with staying power, Interstellar is still keeping afloat with a box office take of $15.8 Million, which is a 3% increase over last week. Once again, this year’s crop of year-ending movies knows how to actually sustain themselves long term thanks to good word of mouth, which is pretty rare these days.
- And finally, Horrible Bosses 2 rounded out the top five with a $15.7 Million opening weekend. Really America? The idea of Jennifer Aniston, America’s sweetheart, letting Michael Bluth (aka Jason Bateman) drop a sexy dump on her does nothing for you? For shame. (I sincerely hope they pull that quote for advertising purposes.)
December 1, 2014