- Since Halloween is only a few days away, it would make sense that a horror movie would be number one at the box office this past weekend. So your entry for this year is Ouija, which earned $20 Million, according to Box Office Mojo. Except here’s the weird thing: All trademarks and patents associated with Ouija? Owned by Mattel. The demon board is literally owned by the same people who gives us Transformers and My Little Pony. Remember that when you’re watching Ouija sometime this week.
- In second place is John Wick, a movie about the unaging Keanu Reeves getting revenge against someone for … something. I think. That sounds right. Anyway, that earned $14.1 Million, which doesn’t seem that great until you compare it to other recent underperforming action movies. So comparatively, it’s actually doing pretty well for itself.
- Fury, Brad Pitt‘s latest critically acclaimed Oscar-baiter, earned another $13 Million at the box office. Oooooooh, $13 Million? On Halloween weekend? Spooky! Kind of. Honestly, considering how our Halloween horror flick this year is about a board game–I’m reaching for my creepy quota.
- Right underneath Brad’s critically acclaimed Oscar-baiter is Ben Affleck‘s Oscar-baiter, Gone Girl, which earned $11.1 Million. They’ve been neck-and-neck for the past two weeks now, so how about we streamline the process here and make Brad and Ben fight for their Oscar? Two men, one ring, street rules boxing match. You want your tiny naked golden man trophy, you earn it the old fashioned way boys!
- Now, if we’re talking about appropriate Halloween movies, I’m putting my money towards The Book of Life. It only earned $9.8 Million this weekend, but it’s gorgeously animated and celebrates culture rather than appropriating it–seriously, LOOK AT THE ANIMATION. That is lush as hell!
October 27, 2014